10.29.2004

Miracles

It had been raining for three days straight. The freeway was worse than usual. He took the back roads to work, as he always did when he was late, and this morning he was really late.
He popped in a new CD, one that a friend had lent him. It was shiny music, the kind that pulls you unwillingly out of a funk. An extra half-hour doesn't really matter after sleeping in for two hours, so he decided to grab a waffle at his favorite breakfast place. He turned left seventy-five feet before driving into the ocean and followed the train tracks south.
Looking for a parking spot, he noticed something that required immediate action. There were spaces in front of the cafe, on the other side of the street. Despite the rain, he basked in the glow of the parking gods and prepared to break the laws necessary to capitalize on his good fortune.
As he slowed, he saw something he had never seen before. Beyond the perfect parking spot, beyond the rose bushes, beyond the patio, he saw sky. Where the cafe should have been. He dropped his eyes and saw a bright yellow bulldozer shining in the morning sun, moving slowly over piles of rubble. At once failing to comprehend and understanding completely, he felt the weight of the week resume its place on his shoulders, and kept driving. He looked back once, but knew that he didn't have to.
He turned the stereo off. He didn't feel like listening to anything anymore.

6 comments:

Moose Tucker said...

Oh my god, what happened? When was the last time you were there? Is it really gone? I'm so sorry. I know you loved their waffles with whatever crazy stuff they put on top.

maybe they are rebuilding it to be bigger and better and then it will be miracles again...

Moose Tucker said...

I like "Iron and Wine" even though they make me yearn for more Nick Drake. I think they are good in their own right, but there is still something that I find unnerving about it...I will try and figure out what.

Moose Tucker said...

I think you should post again. I would like to know what is on your mind, and I don't see you that often. Well, at least not as often as I would like.

Moose Tucker said...

Hello sweetness. Just bugging you again to blog a little. Especially when I am out of town, I would like to know what you are doing. Have you surfed? Is it still raining? Is the house uber clean now? Do the kittens miss me?

You know, the basics.

LOVE YA,
me

Anonymous said...

I feel so sad... and I don't even really like waffles. One more piece of Americana gone...
JQ

Moose Tucker said...

It is sad. Now blog, SPF. Tell us something happy instead.