7.30.2008

Of This World

Driving today, I saw a full rear window sticker declaring "Not of This World." I've seen these before, and my immediate gut reaction is always the petulant "Yes you are!" What was different this time was my recent reading of part of "A Sideways Look at Time" by Jay Griffiths, in which at one point he describes the differences between Western, Christian symbolism and that of other cultures. The idea was that the snake is a fundamental cosmic life-bringing element in ancient cultures around the world, but that Christianity is at distinct odds with these cultures in its view of the serpent. This brought to mind other fragments I have gathered over time, including the revisions of Christian event dates such that Christmas and Easter supplant the pagan, earth-centered 'holidays' of the winter solstice and the spring equinox.

I have witnessed t-shirts being sold at Christian youth events, emblazoned with "Forget the whales, save the PEOPLE!" I remember the pastor at an Indiana church taking strength from his interpretation of Scripture that he should hate his family if they distracted him from his relationship with God. There are bumper stickers that claim "My reward is in heaven."

I submit that the presentation of Christianity has been slowly altered, partially through the translation from its original languages and the selection of books to omit, and partially through mass-message emphasis, to alienate the people of the world from one another and from the earth itself. Christians are given no incentive to care for each other (save for the vague threat that the person they mistreat might be Christ, which is highly unlikely) or for their home; they are constantly encouraged to focus on the afterlife. In most cases, there is not even a tiered reward system; Jehovah's Witnesses are the only exception I am aware of. The whole point is to look out for number one, and make it to heaven. The earth is a proving ground, full of pain and suffering; its sole purpose is to test your worthiness to pass through the Gates.

Is it any wonder, then, that blatant disregard for the earth has become common among fundamentalist Christians? The prevailing attitude seems to be "I'll be dead (implied: and in heaven) when it really gets bad." For a group of people so ostensibly concerned with their families, it's ironic that they don't care what conditions they'll be living in.

This kind of turned into a scathing rebuke, but that wasn't really the intent. I just want people to understand that the connections between ourselves and those between us and our planet are ultimately far more important that those with a father figure in the sky, because every day, when you look at the people and places around you, you are seeing the face of God.

Well, A, it looks like my element might be earth after all.

1 comment:

Moose Tucker said...

HOW DARE YOU!

Oh, wait, I agree.

And on a separate note, I always thought that it was ironic that Christians would pick the one trait of Christ that I find most redeeming, and that is that he WAS of this world. Intentionally. God as Man so that he could walk in our shoes, walk through our lives, and therefore has had an eternally lasting effect. I find that strange.

-A